Skip to main content


Study Abroad

“I just got back from studying abroad at Uppsala University, Sweden, and despite my year being cut short by COVID, I can wholeheartedly say that it was one of the most enriching and incredible experiences I’ve ever had.

"From making friends for life from all across the globe, to gaining an international perspective on some of the topics I’d grown to love in Durham, it was the opportunity of a lifetime. I’d recommend it to anyone.”

Annabel, Education Studies – English Studies student

Optional Year Abroad in Year Three

Both of our Undergraduate programmes offer an optional study abroad or placement year in the third year.

You will apply in Year 2, but must have successfully completed Years 1 and 2 before you are transferred onto the programme. Your year abroad is then taken in Year 3, after which you will return to Durham for a 4th year to complete your degree programme.

Studying abroad enables you to enhance your understanding of education, in its broadest sense, by spending time abroad engaged in diverse experiences that complement your studies and which may enhance your knowledge of a foreign language. You will be able to experience what it means to be a student in a different university and country.

If you wish to take up a year abroad you will be required to spend no less than seven months in a country or if you choose, split between several countries. The year abroad must be agreed in advance as being suitable for you and your learning outcomes.

The initiative and organisational skills required to plan the year develop your academic knowledge and skills, as well as transferable skills and the personal qualities drawn on during the year, with the experience and insights gained, are all valuable outcomes. You will be involved in planning for the year abroad during your 2nd year under the guidance of your Exchange Co-ordinator and in conjunction with the International Office. 


Our Partnerships

There are two main exchange programmes available:

1. Erasmus+ are subject specific placements. The School of Education currently has partnerships with Universities based in Sweden and the Czech Republic.

2. Overseas Exchange are University-wide placements outside of Europe.

When you graduate, your Year Abroad/Placement Year will be formally recognised on your degree certificate.