The Complete University Guide offers some top tips for staying safe.
Nightline is a confidential, anonymous, non-advisory, non-judgmental, non-aligned listening service, run by students, for students. It is open every night of term between 9:00pm and 7:00am. The phone number is on the back of your Campus Card and you can also message through Facebook or Instagram.
The Samaritans offer support to anyone who is struggling to cope or needs someone to listen without judgement or pressure: 116 123 (free).
If you need mental health support and your GP Surgery is closed, you can call our local NHS mental health line: 0800 051 6171. Further information on external and University Mental Health services is available on our Counselling Service Crisis page.
If no other services are available, you can access emergency medical help from your local Accident and Emergency Department (24 hours).
- Fire, Police, Ambulance, emergency: 999
- Police non-emergency number: 101
- For medical help when your GP Surgery is closed, call the NHS non-emergency number: 111
- University Emergency (24 hours): +44 (0)191 334 3333
- University Security Office (24 hours): +44 (0)191 334 2222
- Durham Police: 0845 606 0365